Thursday, November 4, 2010

Caramel Apples Anyone?

What fun things will you do with your apples?  Me I am trying to conquer the caramel apple thing...  So I have been researching , and finding things on the web about it....  Here is what I have discovered.....

One of the fellow bloggers over at "Splendid things" blog posted these pretty babies:
 And here is a closer look:  The one with white chocolate is Vanilla bean Apple Pie...  YUMMY!
I found some more flavors over at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory that I want to try to make as well...

Here is the tutorial that I found along with a recipe and tips to make perfect caramel apples...  Even a skilled kitchen artist like this one needs help, so I have to thank these ladies and thier blogging efforts!

So here are my Top Tips for Making Caramel Apples:


Step One: Rough up the apples with a fine grade of sandpaper, wash and insert stick (I used Popsicle sticks). Place on a cookie sheet. I lined mine with wax paper but did have a bit of a problem with the wax paper sticking – wax paper is edible, right?! Next time I would just place them directly on the cookie sheet.

Step Two: Make caramel. (recipe below) This time I tried a recipe for caramel shared by another blogging friend, Rachel. It was great! It uses brown sugar instead of white sugar. It made a nice smooth caramel. You must have a candy thermometer to make caramel from scratch and stir the pot constantly to prevent it from burning on the bottom. I also use a nice heavy pan – an older pressure cooker of my mothers works great!  We call caramel “patience candy” because you have to have patience stirring it and waiting for it to hit exactly the right temperature. But it’s worth it!

Step Three: Dip apples into caramel and allow to cool. (I placed mine in the refrigerator) I noticed as I was dipping and the caramel cooled that it stuck better to the apple so you may want to let the pot sit for a few minutes before you start dipping. Any left over caramel can be poured into a buttered pan and eaten as candy!

Step Four: Melt chocolate and/or almond bark and dip or drizzle on apples. I used milk chocolate and white chocolate. Quickly, after applying chocolate, sprinkle on the desired toppings. I used mini chocolate chips, mini M&M’s, rainbow sprinkles, crushed Oreo and chopped up Snickers. Nuts would also be great!

Step Five: Return to the refrigerator to set up

Step Six: Eat and enjoy!
And here is the recipe:


Caramel Apples

I was able to dip 10 medium size granny smith apples and had enough caramel left over to fill an 8 x 8 greased pan.

2 C brown sugar
1 C corn syrup
1/2 C butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
1. Combine the first 3 ingredients. After butter is melted stir in the milk.
2. Cook to soft ball (230degrees). Stir constantly.
3. Stir in vanilla.
4. Remove from heat. Dip apples into the caramel, then roll in nuts if desired.
5. Let set up on a cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator if needed. After completely cooled you can drizzle with chocolate and cover with toppings.

Suggested toppings: sprinkles, crushed Oreos, mini M & M’s, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, crushed candy bars.


Pictures and recipe from "Your Home Based Mom" Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment