Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pumpkin Scones

(adapted from Pinch My Salt)

2 c. flour (I used all-purpose instead of cake flour or something fancy, but I'm scandalous like that)
6 Tbs. cold butter (I only had salted, and it turned out just fine)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (woohoo!)
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/3 c. pumpkin puree
1/3 c. half and half
6 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
1. Mix pumpkin, half and half, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl, then place in the fridge to keep cold.

2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger together. Take the butter from the fridge and cut it into small pieces, and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Add the wet ingredients all at once, stir until just moistened, and turn out into a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to lightly push all the dough together into a ball, knead it once or twice to finish any mixing, and then pat it into a small circle about 1 inch thick. Cut the scone dough into 8 pieces and put them on a pan so they are not touching.
3. Bake at 425-degrees for 15 minutes. Scones should be light brown on top -- don't overbake.

Ginger Molasses Glaze (also adapted from Pinch My Salt)
2 Tbs. Molasses
2 Tbs. half and half
1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger (depending on your taste... I like a little ginger kick)

Then mix in enough powdered sugar for your desired consistency. I like it thick, so I think I used around 1 c. of powdered sugar... but don't quote me.

I do not remember where I originally got this recipe from, so PLEASE if t is from your blog, please let me know, so I can give you credit! 
 
Enjoy,
~Mommy of 6 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment