Saturday, September 3, 2011

Homemade Babyfood

I have gotten many request for homemade babyfood lately...  so I thought I would share.  Do you want to offer your baby the best that nature has to offer? You can skip the pricey jars of organic baby food and head to the produce section for ingredients to make your own.  With my oldest I didn't make our own baby food, and he turned ou to be my pickest eater.  With all the rest, I made our own, and they eat everything!  There is such versatility with flavors when you make your own food, that you can really get your little one experimenting with new flavors.  You would be surprised at what your little one wil eat!  Mine would eat turnips, cabbage, esparagus, etc.

Here are some advantages to making your own organic baby food:

1. It's less expensive. A pound of fresh organic carrots will run you about $1. A four-ounce jar of organic baby food carrots cost about $.75--or $3 a pound!

2. It tastes better. Homemade baby food actually tastes like food, and your baby will grow accustomed to the flavor of fresh fruits and vegetables, possibly making them more likely to accept those foods later.

3. You know what's in it. You know for sure that it's free of additives and preservatives.

4. You can tailor the texture to your baby's preference and developmental stage.

5. It is more nutrient-rich than jarred. Since you made it, you know it hasn't been sitting for months on the supermarket shelves.

6. It's fun!

Tip I had share: Gerber started canning baby food in 1928. Before that, babies ate food that their parents mashed and stained for them. Now that we have blenders and food processors, making homemade baby food is a breeze

I will share some of our favorite recipes this week!  Enjoy!
~Mommy of 6 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment